Tuesday, June 7, 2011


Growing up in rural Punjab I got to hear a lot of Attaullah Khan, albeit involuntarily. Tractors, trucks, public transport, but mostly tractors virtually came with cassette players that all their mechanical lives played only Attaullah Khan. And the quality of player and speakers was such that only god's throat Attaullah could be heard screaming from kilometers away with just a dead tin tin in background for music. Folks just loved Attaullah to blood and sweat. Especially my cousins in south Punjab, about whom my only childhood memory is the constant struggle to befriend them, were just crazy about him. Since I developed love for Pakistani Pop early on (Shahzad Roy/Haroon in fringe jackets anyone?), it was natural for me to despise local folk singers who were only played on trucks, buses and tractors.

But, then came this. Coke Studio turned a lot of folk tin tin into musical gold and recording genius. Yesterday morning when I checked above video I was somewhere between amazed and shocked. Given that I have religiously followed Coke Studio and listened each song several times, I believe Coke Studio might just have created the ultimate piece here with Attaullah Khan. Frankly, even though lot of people loved it, I found Arif Lohar's Jugni to be POS (Piece of Sh!t).

The above, my friends, is the greatest Coke Studio could ever achieve.

 
  • Blogger S.S said...
    June 7, 2011 at 2:42 AM
    Hey! Which Theme is this that you are using on this blog?
  • Blogger Vaqas said...
    June 7, 2011 at 2:45 AM
    I made this myself solely for this blog.
  • Blogger S.S said...
    June 7, 2011 at 2:52 AM
    Can I please have the code etc? I need it for a personal blog. Can add your link in the end :)
  • Anonymous JAK said...
    June 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    I loved Noori @ Coke Studio the most.
  • Blogger Vaqas said...
    June 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    I am talking in terms of improvement. Noori as a modern pop band already creates an appealing music. Especially their "Peeli Patti Aur Raja Jani Ki Gol Dunya" album is marvellous. However, in Coke Studio none of their performances came as different and better, IMO. On the other hand, folk music went 180 from being boring/empty music with great lyrics, to great music and great lyrics.
  • Anonymous JAK said...
    June 9, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    I, being a conservative, love folk for its essentially rustic and crude nature :)

home


Post a Comment